Western Sydney Homeless Connect 2017 Appeal
RRT Hygiene Kits
As part of the Rapid Relief Team’s ongoing commitment to assisting Australia’s homeless persons, we would like to extend an appeal for support of this noble cause.
According to Australia’s national peak body for homelessness, 56 percent of homeless persons are male and 44 percent are female. On any given night across Australia, one in 200 people are homeless and seeking temporary accommodation on the streets, or in boarding houses with supported accommodation for the homeless.
The Western Sydney Homeless Connect Event 2017
Once again, RRT are looking forward to supporting WSHC on the 8th of August 2017, with catering and coffee and the donation of Hygiene Kits for those in need. You may not be able to attend, but that doesn’t stop you joining us in the cause by donating your chosen number of Hygiene Kits!
A quick insight into the event WSHC held last year;
On Monday 8th August, the 2016 Western Sydney Homeless Connect (WSHC) was held at Parramatta Town Hall and Centenary Square, as part of Parramatta Homeless Persons Week with a record attendance of an estimated 2500 people! In its fourth year of operation WSHC has continued to grow in size and in its value to the Western Sydney community.
Statistics from this event;
- 2,600 meals from Bunnings Warehouse North Parramatta and Outback Steakhouse Wentworthville, Rapid Relief Team (RRT) and Soul Origin Westfield Parramatta
- 1,000 care packs
- 1,500 cups of barista made coffee from RRT and Soul Origin
- 242 health checks by Western Sydney University nursing and midwifery students
- 30 dental checks
- 110 haircuts from HairAid volunteers
- 32 support providers made 1,602 connections with our homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
Dignitaries that attended to show their support included;
- Amanda Chadwick, City of Parramatta Administrator
- Minister Brad Hazzard the NSE Minister for Family and Community Services and the Minister for Social Housing
- Tania Mihailuk MP, Shadow Minister for Family and Community Services, Social Housing, Mental Health, Medical Research;
- Dr Geoff Lee, NSW Member for Parramatta
- Andrea Galloway CEO of Evolve Housing – Western Sydney Homeless Connect partner
Why RRT is asking for your support for this upcoming event;
In NSW alone homelessness has grown 20.4% since 2006. These statistics paint a picture of the sad reality of homelessness in Australia and last year’s Census is expected to reveal confronting statistics that show a national housing crisis that continues to grow. With no address, no connections to services or even knowledge of what support services are available people will continue to sleep rough but events like WSHC can help change that.
The donation of Hygiene Kits only plays out one small part of the needs that are out there, but every little bit makes a difference and is much appreciated!
The WSHC event has become a vital Western Sydney community event powered 100% by volunteers, donations and sponsors. WSHC have no major sponsor and rely on the generosity of the community.
The Homeless Hygiene Kit Appeal
The Rapid Relief Team now offers male and female hygiene kits via our recently launched, not-for-profit online store. As part of our ongoing commitment to assisting Australia’s homeless and homeless missions, we’re calling on donations of hygiene kits to extend a helping hand to those that need it most.
How can you help?
Simply click on the Shop Now button, nominate the number of hygiene kits you would like to donate to this worthy cause.